Friday, January 13, 2006

Figure Skating Fanatic


Hi Kids,

I'm going to divulge a secret that I have carried with me for many years.

I am a closet Figure Skating fan. I can't help it!

I love all the drama and tight fitting costumes.

I love Dick Button and Peggy Fleming making rude but sincere comments about the skaters.

I love when I am watching Jeopardy and Know a classical music question because I remember that Michele Kwan skated to it.

It's all divine madness too me.....

This is why I decided to share this article with you from the NY times. It is the post press interview with the hot and juicy Johnny Weir. It is packed with reasons why I love the sport.

Anyone who admits that putting on bronzer makes them happy is someone I want to know.

Here's the article

Kisses, MargOH

Weir's Title Fits Like Glove After Short Program
By JULIET MACUR

ST. LOUIS, Jan. 12 - During his short program Thursday, Johnny Weir, ever flamboyant and quirky, wore a black-and-white costume that sparkled under the lights, and one red glove symbolizing the beak of a swan.
"His name is Camille - two 'l's," Weir said, pointing to the glove on his hand after his skate. "I think he's my evil side. When I skate poorly, I blame it on my glove."
But at the United States Figure Skating Championships, where the Olympic team will be chosen, Weir did not need to blame Camille. He skated beautifully to music titled "The Swan," carefully positioning that gloved hand while he glided across the ice, turning himself into a graceful bird for nearly three minutes.
For that effort, he finished first with a score of 83.28, his personal best. The two-time Olympian Michael Weiss (77.55) was second, and Evan Lysacek (74.03), who finished third at last year's world championships, was third.
A few hours later, the women took the ice for their short programs, with Sasha Cohen finishing in first, as expected. In a teal outfit, much less flashy than Weir's swan ensemble, she scored 65.15. Emily Hughes, sister of the 2002 gold medalist Sarah Hughes, was second with 59.11, and Beatrisa Liang (58.82) was third.
"This isn't half as good as I have been in practice," said a confident Cohen, still recovering from the flu.
If Cohen, 21, skates well again on Saturday, she will win her first national championship, after repeatedly finishing second. Four times, she won silver to Michelle Kwan's gold.
Kwan, a nine-time national champion, missed this event because of a pulled groin muscle. She has asked for a medical bye onto the Olympic team, and will learn her fate when a committee from United States Figure Skating meets Saturday to pick the three skaters who will go to Turin, Italy. The winner at nationals is guaranteed a spot.
The same selection process will be used for the men's team. That makes Weir nervous.
He said he woke up Thursday morning and did not want to get out of bed because the pressure to win his third consecutive national championship was so stifling.
"Figure skating is an amazing ride," said Weir, 21. "It takes you from feeling like the lowest scum in the pond, like two hours ago, and now I feel like a flower growing out of the pond."
Still, Weir was able to compose himself, helped by a cup of coffee and a few other confidence boosters. "I put on my self-tanner and I went from there," he said.
In his program, he cleanly landed four triple jumps, but his artistry was what mesmerized the crowd at the Savvis Center. When he was done, the spectators gave him a standing ovation. He had done what he had come to do: lull the crowd with the soft music and his flowing moves.
"For this one, they kind of sat back and had their cognac and their cigarettes and they were relaxing and watching," he said, then compared his music to that of another skater, who chose faster paced choreography.
"His was like a vodka-shot-and-a-snort-of-coke kind of thing," Weir said. "Uh, sorry for all those drug references."
Weir's performance overshadowed the other top skaters, including Timothy Goebel, who won bronze at the 2002 Olympics but is in fifth after a shaky short program. He did land a quad jump, though he touched the ice to balance himself.
Weiss, 29, was another of few skaters who attempted a quadruple jump. He landed it, though not cleanly.
And Lysacek, one of the favorites to make the Olympic team, was disappointed after falling during a straight-line step sequence and then stumbling doing a triple axel. "That's the first element I have missed all season in the short program," Lysacek said of his fall. "Obviously, a very uncharacteristic mistake."
On Saturday, mistakes might destroy a skater's chances to make the Olympic team. On the men's side, Weir's healthy lead gives him an advantage because everyone else will be trying to climb to reach him.
For the free skate, Weir has not said what kind of costume he will wear, but his coach, Priscilla Hill, said it would be memorable, like many of his others.
And just like his performances earlier this season, which have not all been smooth, he manages to eventually make things work, she said. Sometimes that even amazes Weir.
"I'm very, very elated that I came out and skated well," Weir said after his short program, smiling. "It was lovely, really."

No comments:

Post a Comment