Monday, December 17, 2012

Where have all the Diva's gone?

Hey Kids,



I was watching VH-1's Diva's Live which used to showcase actual Diva's but after watching last night I was left feeling like they don't exist any longer. Sure, there were the tributes to Donna Summer and Whitney Houston but the performances these girls gave were sub-par in my opinion. I always feel that if you are going to pay tribute then sing their songs the way they would, in their arrangements, to me this is a tribute. To give an example Beyonce sang "The Way We Were" for Barbra at the Kennedy Center Honors and she did it with Barbra's arrangement and it was breath taking. You can't take "Last Dance" and do vocal runs on the last few notes...get someone who can actually do the song or maybe Adam Lambert should have just taken it because he could do it. It was just weird!

Kelly Clarkson, though a wonderful singer, is just not powerful enough. I really think she should start writing and singing more of her own material. I can see she sings from pain so why not write about it and maybe she will connect to her inner Diva. Miley Cyrus is again another great vocalist but i always feel like she is looking around wondering if she is doing okay, i don't always see the connection in her performances but i do love the new look and kudos for tackling Billy Idol. Then there was the horribly wrong cover of "Groove is in the Heart", I really don't even know what to say other than Natasha don't do that again, but then some gal ran up on stage to do the little rap part and I thought she was good but then she ran off...Who was that? Ciara was fab with her dance moves and did seem like she had some moments. I did like her song, it was good dance pop.

Unfortunately the show in general seemed as if they had not rehearsed enough...and when Nene Leakes introduction is probably the most DIVA moment then there is a problem...

You know me kids...I'm not usually one to get all bent about things like this but MargOH! was having a WTF moment over this show. Though Paloma Faith was a stand out for me I didn't think she was given a very good reception by the audience compared to some of the others. Hopefully this will give her a boost and give the world a little more of an eccentric twist on what it is to be a DIVA...

Hell I'm still working on it and it ain't easy...Now Let me put on my Judy, Barbra, Cher and Joan Baez...OH! she is a DIVA which I didn't realize until the other night...

Go get your DIVA on kids...

Kisses, MargOH!

3 comments: